Newent Meeting House & Town House Hall
A New Chapter…
The current Newent Congregational Church building was opened in 1858, replacing two earlier buildings for religious services and local government matters dating back to 1723.
This church remained active with Sunday services until the pandemic, which resulted in dwindling membership sufficient to keep the congregation active. In August 2023, the church and the grounds surrounding it were given to the Town of Lisbon, and leased for 100-years to the Lisbon Historical Society to be maintained jointly.
No longer a house of worship, the Town and Historical Society returned the name to its original 1700’s title, Newent Meeting House.
Being that it was formally a church, the building has excellent acoustics with its high ceiling and open space. With a few modifications, it will be used for musical concerts, film screenings, lectures, and other presentations. The original pews are remaining and the space seats about 130.
The building attached to the Newent Meeting House is the old Town House or sometimes was called the Conference House, which dates back to the late 1700’s. It served as a store, storage facility, and community building for town meetings. When it was no longer needed by the town, it was turned over to the church for religious classes, and in 1953, the old Town House was moved from the intersection of route 169 and 138, and connected to the then church building.
Future plans for the Town House include continued use by Scout groups, early voting venue, and Town meetings. The room is also used by the Society for monthly meetings, and is available for parties, weddings, and conference rentals.


















